I’ve Arrived


Well, I made it to NYC.

Here’s the gist:

I spent all Friday packing, making sure I didn’t forget anything. I feel pretty good for doing it all with 2 big suitcases, a backpack, a purse, and a tote bag.

Ok, when I see it on the screen, it seems like a lot. But, trust me, it’s pretty good. I have to dress business casual for this program, so that was a game changer. I’m usually a jeans and t-shirt gal, but I had to pack with the business casual thing in mind.

My sweet friend, Danielle met me at my bishop’s house where I dropped off my car. (My bishop is the BEST for letting me keep my car at his house for like 7 weeks. He could be taking joy rides in my sweet hatchback for all I know. Haha.) After moving all of my stuff to Danielle’s car, we headed out.

We made a quick stop in PG and then to dinner. I had to bid farewell to my love, Costa Vida, for the next 7 weeks. I will miss you greatly.

As the time passed, my emotions kept bouncing between excitement and fear.

10395842_10152129415295172_2501182137311218872_n 1601584_10152129415365172_8131965133502405546_n

Danielle got me to the airport around 9pm for my 11pm flight. As I stood in line, I felt extremely scared. This is really happening. I’m going across country.



New everything.

As I sat on my computer waiting to board the plane, I might’ve shed a few discreet tears. This is really happening. I was so afraid.

But, this is what I do. I fear change.

But I chose this path. The same thing happened when I went on my mission. It was the right thing to do, but the jump into the dark was terrifying. To this day, I don’t regret for a second the mission that I served. I fear regret more than I fear change.

Anyways, I digress.

The plane ride was long. But I sat next to the nicest couple. They’re from Vernal, UT and were coming out to visit their son before they head to Europe for vacation.

I told myself I wouldn’t, but I finally broke down and bought a pillow from the flight attendant. Not the best $6 I’ve ever spent. But, they also supplied me with a complementary sleep mask and ear plugs. Thank you, JetBlue.

Despite my best efforts, I didn’t really sleep on the plane. I tossed and turned most of the time, maybe sleeping 30 minutes total the whole time.

After 4.5 hours in the air, I was amazed to open my windowshade and see that we had finally found the sunrise.


I landed at JFK airport at 5:20am. Collin (my brother) lovingly got up to pick me up at that ungodly hour.

I came to his apartment and crashed and slept for a good 5 hours.

Later, Collin and I ventured out to Brooklyn for a little bit and I got a taste of the streets here.


My fear is starting to change back to excitement again. New York is safer than a lot of people think. And it is so charming. The weather is fantastic so far.

I can do this.

I can do anything for 6 weeks.

And I think I will thrive.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s